Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tongue-Tied (and not in a good way)

When you like someone, how do you know? Do you get excited when you think about them? Or are you extra nice to them? When we're young, the trend is to be mean. Kids often tease and taunt the ones they have a crush on. So how do those flirting rituals transform as we get older?

I for one have discovered my own pattern of behavior when I become interested in someone. I noticed that I do the same thing as when I don't like someone; I avoid them. Counter-intuitive, I know, but my initial reaction is to duck and hide and avoid being seen at all costs. My excitement takes over, I suddenly have no idea how to hold up my end of a conversation, and I'm terribly afraid of making a fool of myself. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just go for it, jump in, and hope for the best.

Today the guy I've had my eye on for a while caught me, and before I could even think of what to say, he was already asking if he could stop by sometime. Of course I said yes! And luckily he was headed somewhere, so I didn't have to think of something clever to say. The initial setup is always hardest for me, I'm great on dates, and excellent when you get to know me, but talking to someone new has always been a challenge. So for all those people who struggle with flirting, this one's for you. I'm going to pursue this new opportunity and see what happens.

But a new question arises, what do I say when we're having a real one-on-one conversation? Like kids on the playground, are we just supposed to make it up as we go?

No comments:

Post a Comment